Challenges of religious urbanization in Africa
Tuesday 26 June 2018
Conference Hall, HRDC Building
University of Lagos Main Campus, Akoka, Lagos
09:30am-3pm (registration from 9am)
This international workshop has been funded by the British Academy/Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) through the Religious Urbanization in Africa project. It is hosted by the Department of Urban and Region Planning, University of Lagos, in collaboration with the University of Kent (UK). The aim of the workshop is to gather a unique set of speakers to discuss current and urgent issues relating to intersections between urbanization, infrastructure, and the expansion of religious organizations in African cities. A specific focus will be placed on comparing Lagos and Kinshasa. The workshop will introduce the Religious Urbanization in Africa project and present some of its initial findings. Then, different stakeholder perspectives will be presented, including those from urban planning, architecture, academia,and religious groups themselves.
Key questions to be considered are:
- How do religious socio-spatial models address challenges of urban social
cohesion and inclusion, safety and sustainability
- Do religious infrastructures ameliorate or exacerbate everyday challenges of safety, inclusion, and security?
- How should development policies and analyses take account of religious dynamics and religious actors in urban African contexts?
- What is gained through comparing of urban development and religious urbanization in different African cultural environments?
While invited speakers will provide initial position statements, the emphasis will be on their engagement with each other and with members of the audience. Participation from all those attending will be encouraged.
10.00 – 10.10 Welcome – Prof Immaculata Nwokoro, University of Lagos
10.10 – 10.30 Introduction of RUA Project – Prof Simon Coleman, University of Toronto
10.30 – 10.45 Religion, urban planning and urban challenges in Kinshasa – Floribert Ntungila-Nkama, University of Kinshasa
10.45 – 11.00 Religion, urban planning and urban challenges in Lagos – Prof Immaculata Nwokoro, University of Lagos
11.00 – 11.10 Q&A
11.10 – 11.25 Urban Challenges and Faith Based Organisation work in Makoko – Betty Abah, CEE-HOPE
11.25 – 11.40 Religion and the City: Perspectives from Lagos – Aro Ismaila, Bridge Academies
11.40 – 11.55 The City Church – Lagos – Pastor Godman Akinlabi Elevation Church
11.55 – 12.10 Q&A
12.10 – 12.30 Coffee Break
12.30 – 14.00 Panel Discussion: Religious Urbanisation in Lagos and beyond
- Mr Lateef Sholebo, Lagos Urban Renewal Agency
- Ms Olamide Udoma-Ejorh, Lagos Urban Network
- Dr Franca Attoh, University of Lagos
- Dr Muyiwa Agunbiade, Resident of Redemption camp
- Dr Taibat Lawanson, University of Lagos
Moderator: Dr David Garbin, University of Kent
14.00 – 14.30 Wrap up and close – Prof Simon Coleman, University of Toronto